Monday, November 15, 2010

Elsworth Kelly

Paintings by Elsworth Kelly











Kelly, I feel, has work which stands out and remains fresh more so than any other of his contemporaries at the time. Its hard to believe that a lot of this work was completed in the 50's, all the work has a really vibrant, modern palette and sensibility. The later works don't diverge too far from the aesthetics of his early abstraction, but all seem to remain fresh and new.



Kelly is typically known for his abstract works, but to this day is still making representational drawings. This is something which I'm encountering in my own practice; the urge to create representational works, more specifically drawings. I think I'll always have this urge and I don't think that it is something i need to address, the whole idea of letting work take on a life of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment